Business Rates Appeals Service – 2017 Rating List
Stratton Creber Commercial provides a comprehensive rates advice and appeal service for any type of non-domestic property.
The 2017 Rating List came into effect on 1st April 2017. This means that every property in England and Wales has been re-valued for the first time in seven years.
The relevant date upon which rateable value is based is 1st April 2015 and the basis of calculating it is the rental value of the property at this date, given certain conditions.
As active commercial property consultants in Devon and Cornwall we are able to swiftly assess a property to determine whether it has been correctly valued.
Examples of properties we have previously negotiated reductions for include:
- Retail warehouses
- Industrial premises
- Licensed Trade businesses
We also provide advice on rates relief, including part temporary void relief, charitable status and listed building status.
The Main Types of Appeal
- Compiled rating list appeal (Standard Appeal against the property valuation)
- Material change of circumstances (eg. Major and continuing road works nearby)
- Change of use of property
- Split or merge of occupied accommodation.
The Appeal Process
In order to appeal rateable value it is first necessary to register with the Valuation Office Agency. It will then be possible to submit the first stage of an appeal known as a Check. This stage confirms the actual prevailing factual details of a property and it is possible that this will result in a reduction. After completion of the Check, the second stage is to submit a formal Challenge where the value adopted to a property is scrutinised.
To help clients and potential clients, our experienced chartered surveyors are able to provide informal pre-appeal advice, and in most cases without charging an upfront fee.
The new appeal and relief provisions are complicated. We understand this process and will assist clients in a multitude of ways that could save rates payments.
We are approachable and will provide you with honest, concise advice which will be aimed at saving as much money as possible on your behalf.
The General Process
In general when you contact us, we will:
1) Discuss the general aspects of the property with you to ascertain whether there may be scope to mitigate rates liability including
entitlement to any current reliefs
2) Carry out a desk top study of the detailed rating valuation for your property
3) If we believe there is scope to successfully appeal the assessment, arrange an appointment to carry out a detailed on site
4) Provide a reasoned recommendation of the likely outcome if an appeal were to be submitted, with an indication of possible
5) On agreeing our fees we will submit the Check
6) On receipt of the Check we will Challenge the outcome and conduct negotiations with the VOA through to settlement
Preparing for, and appearing at, Valuation Tribunals in the case of unresolved appeals.
Reporting on savings in rates payable following settlement of appeal.
Completing Request for Information forms.
Contact Us to Discuss your Rating Needs
Truro office covering Cornwall
Tel: 01872 265433
Mobile 07467 145236
Plymouth office covering Devon
Tel: 01752 907518
Mobile 07384 818556
Mike Lloyd MRICS
Tel: 01392 202203
Useful website links:
Find the rateable value of your property – www.gov.uk/correct-your-business-rates
Business rates relief – www.gov.uk/apply-for-business-rate-relief
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) regulates its member firms – www.rics.org/uk/knowledge/glossary/why-use-an-rics-professional
Stratton Creber Commercial is regulated by the RICS and complies with RICS Rules of Conduct. This requires members to carry out their professional work with due skill, care and diligence and with proper regard for the technical standards expected of them. Members must also carry out their professional work in a timely manner and with proper regard for standards of service and customer care expected of them.